2011-09-08

Back vol.2

So we did our little trip to Helsinki. It's not abroad or that far away really (from my doorstep approximately 439kilometres) but the difference is... just huge. My hometown is small, and compared to Helsinki, countryside. But do not take me wrong, I have lived in Helsinki and wouldn't want to move back, I like it here. But it's a city.




We traveled by train, and arrived to Central railway station seen above. It's a beautiful building, designed by one of our biggest, Eliel Saarinen, at the beginning of 1900s. When you're in Helsinki, almost all the trains and buses leave and return there, and it's also easy to make a date under those stony-guys (there are four of them altogether, two standing in both sides of the main entrance), you'll never miss the place!



Our hotel was almost next to central railway station, we just needed to walk past The Finnish National Theatre and the Ateneum Art Museum. Both are the most well-known (and loved) landmarks in the heart of Helsinki. In National Theatre they will have Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett (which I have seen in English in Scotland in oops...last century, and would love to see again in Finnish) but it only opens next week. Maybe later?



Skies were blue 99,9% of the time (even when lying in bed, the ceiling was most unusual), and the hotel was good. Walking distance from everything, great breakfast and happy 90s-migraine-is-close covered armchairs. In a minute our room was filled with bags, clothes, shoes (how many pairs of shoes does a sister-duo need for three days? We ended up having seven - some were bought during the trip, though) and giggles. Oh yes, we giggled like teenagers three days in a row, which should tell everybody just how needed this trip was.


And we walked...and walked...and took the tram/bus/train/metro and walked some more. And saw some buildings not that up to our taste. Like Kiasma above, the Museum of contemporary art (can you spot us there being really touristic taking pictures?). One ugly building almost next to central railway station. Some love it though, as they do love...



The new heavily debated (the location mainly and the need of it in general were the issues) Helsinki Music Centre. It was opened just recently (the first concerts were last week) after a long wait for those who love music. I do not like the look of it, to be honest, I am more fan of...



Our Parliament house, just across the street to that Music Centre. And the views to city...




Lovely.

We also did some shopping, thrifting in fleamarket(s), ate greatly and one of my sister's friend celebrated her doctoral thesis. Not bad for three days, huh?



Except for those wonderful memories I also brought some home some things to enjoy later. Those should get me through September and October - there's a new trip in planning for November. Hooray!

Happy Thursday everyone!

Yours,
Mia

18 comments:

verykerryberry said...

I quite fancy a visit to Helsinki myself! I do like a city break- looks like you both had a great time!

Mia said...

It was great Kerry,

and I would have liked to stay just a little bit longer, but we did see and experience great deal in a weekend! Mini-city-breaks are wonderful, and I welcome you to visit Helsinki!

Happy day!

Yours,
Mia

Jane said...

Wow Mia what a fabulous trip you had with you dear Sis. The station building is awesome, I could have just stayed there all trip. I laughed at the chairs in your room, did you need eye shades to sleep!! There was some serious shopping too and a girl NEVER has too many pairs of shoes. I am so happy to hear you also have another trip planned, something else to look forward too. Great to have you back dear,
Jane x

greenrabbitdesigns said...

What a wonderful city, you obviously had a great time!!
Love your description of the chair. ;)
I have to agree I also prefer old architecture to the new!
Love the fabrics, definitely some new bags waiting in there!!
It's good to have another trip in the planning, something nice to look forward to! We're off to Barcelona next week, can't wait!
Vivienne x

Mia said...

Hi Jane,

I am so happy someone said it out&loud: a girl cannot have too many shoes :) Thank you, dear! And yes, we had a wonderful time, yet those chairs still haunt me at nights...

Happy Thursday!

Yours,
Mia

Mia said...

Hello Viv, still almost a Birthday-girl!

We had a great time, and Helsinki is a beautiful city, you only need to look the other way from those new buildings, luckily they're all situated around the same area! We could have stayed a week easily, but hey, these short ones are just wonderful too!

Happy trip to Barcelona (wow! wow! wow!)!

Yours,
Mia

mynestofyarnandbuttons said...

Mia, how nice to see you back! Thanks for visiting me and your lovely comment, as always. What a great time you two had. So nice to have a sister and to have so much in common. Love your purchases and all the beautiful building in your photos. Have a great day and November will be here before we all know.....but I hope not too fast. Take care, xoRobin❤

Mia said...

Thank you, Robin!

I am so grateful for my wonderful sister too, she lives almost next door and we see/call/text many times each day! I think she's my best friend too!

I am so happy that you're all great after that hurricane, and am sending you many happy greetings from autumn-y yet sunny Finland!

Yours,
Mia

Helen Philipps said...

What a lovely trip you had, Mia! I loved seeing your interesting pictures of Helsinki, and all your shopping looks wonderful!! It's great to spend time with your sister, too...such a fun thing to do at any age! Enjoy your weekend.
Helen x

Mia said...

Thank you, Helen!

I agree, having time with your sister (or brother but I do not have one) is just priceless no matter the age!

Have a wonderful, crafty and sunny weekend soon!

Yours,
Mia

Donna -Little Tiny Stitches said...

Thankyou kindly for inviting along on your Helsinki trip:o)
I thorougly enjoyed it, and am looking forward to the November trip too ;o)

So pleased you had a fantastic time. Oh, to be laughing and giggling for three days....

have a great weekend Mia x

Anne said...

Love all of these pictures, Mia!!Thanks for "bringing" us along on your trip.
It is interesting to see the old AND the new buildings.
I have been looking at Greg's pictures of Budapest and now I feel like I've been to Europe.

Happy weekend to you and Sis.

Anne
PlumCreek22

Mia said...

Hello Donna,

I am so happy I had all of you with us :) And also what a bliss it was to take pictures as it wasn't raining at all (as it has been here for past week...)!

We're maybe going somewhere else on November...Haven't decided it for sure yet but you'll all be invited anyway :)

Happiest weekend!

Yours,
Mia

Mia said...

Hello Anne,

Helsinki is a beautiful city with many, many of those lovely old buildings. The new ones....well let's say they'll add interest to it :)

I am sure the Budapest pictures are wonderful, and you'll have many happy moments taking a look and listening all the Greg's memories!

Have a great weekend and many happy thought to all of you from us here!

Yours,
Mia

Anonymous said...

Looks great - makes me want to visit and very soon!
I see you have a copy of Marie Claire Idees too - some great reading there for you. Enjoy with a cup of coffee on Sunday morning maybe?
P xx

Mia said...

Hi Pam,

Just my thought - a cup of good coffee and magazine full of ideas! I do not know any French though, but the pictures are just inspirational!

Sunshine to your weekend!

Yours,
Mia

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hello Mia! I was so sure I have wrote to you, but perhaps not...
Thank you very much for a lovely tour in Helsinki! Oh I whish I could have joined you! I'm happy to hear that you had wonderful and funny time with your sister!
I think that hotel room looks nice and cosy.
xxx Teje

Mia said...

Hello Teje,

And I wish you could have been with us there, we had wonderful time! Helsinki showed its most beautiful side to us, sun was shining and everyone was happy, us included :)

Have a wonderful weekend!

Yours,
Mia

This time of the year...

Usually around this time, when children go back to school, and you can just about to smell the autumn, I start to dig deeper in my fabric...