2010-08-12

Autumnish

It's way cooler here today, and it's been like this a few days already. For this following weekend there might be some hotter air coming (+25c - +28c) but the hottest summer is definitely gone. It's a bit sad but not entirely. We had the summer of the century and it was almost too hot (can I say that?) at times. And now I am starting to feel autumn-ish, which is great.



Autumn-ish is sort of pre-autumn feeling. It has all the best sides of the autumn: sunny, bright days, pretty new clothes, knitting with earthy-tones and plans for socks, mittens and slippers. I have planned (and designed a bit, also) some felted mittens and slippers for this following winter. I tried mittens last autumn already but wasn't happy with the results. They were great for shoveling snow at home but put them on when doing some Christmas shopping? I don't think so.



I also made a pair of slippers too but wasn't too happy with those either. They definitely need more twist meaning more something different, maybe a strap, maybe... I want to write my own patterns rather than copy-with-a-slight-change from someone else (I know pattern-writing is hard work) so I'm back to drawing board (well knitting board in my case) again!

Happy autumnish!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the same here, the air has definitely cooled over the past week and I'm getting quite excited as Autumn /Winter is my favourite time! I love Winter woolies and bright sunny winter days as well.

I'm ready for it now. Bx

Jane said...

Good morning Mia,
I am glad your weather is cooler, we have also had some cooler days and at last here in the south some welcome rain.
I agree re Autumn, it has a cosy feel to it in preparation for the coldness of winter. Actually I have always been fascinated by all the seasons, how boring would it be to have the same weather....and what on earth would the English have to talk about if that was so?!
Enjoy your knitting, love Jane x

Pam said...

I've wanted to make some grey felt slippers for a while but Ialso want some red in there. But, should I knit the slippers then felt them or knit a large piece, felt it then cut out the slippers.
Ah well, while I ponder that no doubt this autumn will pass by too.
P x

periwinkle said...

I wish we had had some sun , since the holidays started we have barely seen it and the nights are drawing in rapidly... I think your slippers look fine

Mia said...

Hi Beth!

I think I am starting to be ready for autumn also, but winter scares me a bit - they've estimated a massive snow-snow-snow-winter here with some freezing cold weather...But who knows, they might just be wrong ;)

Happy day!

Yours,
Mia

Mia said...

Hello, Jane!

I agree, we Finns would not have anything (I mean NOTHING) to talk about if we couldn't complain about the weather. It's always too hot-cold-rainy-dry-cloudy-sunny - you get my point? ;)

You have a great day too!

Yours,
Mia

Mia said...

Hi Pam,

I have many, many MANY things on my try-this-someday-list that have seen more than one winter and one summer ;)but I am most certain that someday I´ll find the time - and so will you! In the meanwhile we just dream, right? :)

Happy day!

Yours,
Mia

Mia said...

Hello periwinkle!

So happy to see you here, welcome!
I hope your holiday weather will turn great - we have some sun here I can send you, I have had my holidays already!

Have a wonderful vacation!

Yours,
Mia

greenrabbitdesigns said...

'Autumnish' is ok but not Autumn, if you know what I mean. I really don't like the autumn/winter, I'm a spring/summer girl! We really didn't have a great summer, some more sun would have been nice!
Good luck with the slippers, they're looking great already, how about some birdies on them ! :)
Vivienne x

Mia said...

Hi Viv,

I know exactly what you mean! I am a summer-girl myself, definitely, but after this very hot summer (a great one it was, too!) I am slowly getting used to idea of darker nights and cooler days... But no, it´s NOT autunmn yet, just -ish! :)

I am planning to make some slippers and mittens with my needle felted birdies and bugs but I need to get the patterns just right first. I´ll show you as soon as I have some ready!

Have a wonderful day!

Yours,
Mia

This time of the year...

Usually around this time, when children go back to school, and you can just about to smell the autumn, I start to dig deeper in my fabric...